1. Try alternative shopping: Shop discount websites, salvage stores, thrift stores, consignment shops, warehouse clubs, yard sales, and garage sales.
2. Advertised items are not necessarily the cheapest.
3. Watch for unadvertised specials.
4. Remember to ask for a "raincheck" if an item is sold out.
5. To avoid crowds, do not shop after work, on paydays, or just before holidays.
6. Buy items before you run out of them. Buy at clearance, or sale price,
instead of regular price when you must have the item.
7. Know the sales cycle in your area.
8. Just because an item is on sale, doesn't necessarily mean it is a good deal for your family. If you won't use it, don't buy it.
9. Due to volume discounts, larger stores are generally cheaper than smaller ones.
10. Stock up when prices are low.